Viktor Emil Frankl
March 26, 1905 - September 2, 1997
Viktor E. Frankl, M.D., Ph.D. was Professor of Neurology and Psychiatry at the University of Vienna Medical School
and Visiting Professor at Harvard and at universities in Dallas, Pittsburgh, and San Diego. From 1940 to 1942 he was head of the Neurology
Department of the Rothschild Hospital, and between 1946 and 1970 he was director of the Vienna Neurological Policlinic.
He created the first meaning-oriented school of psychotherapy, "Logotherapy and Existential Analysis", often called the "Third Viennese School of
Psychotherapy", after Freud's Psychoanalysis and Adler's Individual Psychology. Frankl held lectures at 209 universities on all continents.
He held the Solo Flight Certificate and the Mountain Guide badge of the Alpine Club "Donauland". Three climbing trails on the Rax and Peilstein mountains were named after him.
Frankl authored 40 BOOKS which to date have been published in over 50 languages.
BIBLIOGRAPHY on Logotherapy/Existential Analysis.
- Harvard University, Cambridge
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Dallas, Texas
- U.S. International University, San Diego, California
HONORARY DOCTOR DEGREES
- Loyola University, Chicago (1970)
- Edgecliffe College, Cincinnati (1970)
- Rockford College, Illinois (1972)
- Mount Mary College, Wisconsin (1984)
- Universidade do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil (1984)
- Universidad Andres Bello, Caracas (1984)
- University of South Africa (1984)
- Universidad del Salvador, Buenos Aires (1985)
- Universidad Catolica Argentina, Buenos Aires (1985)
- Universidad de Buenos Aires (1985)
- Universidad Francisco Marroquin, Guatemala (1985)
- University of Vienna (1986)
- Universidad Nacional de Cuyo, Argentina (1986)
- Universidad Nacional de Entre Rios, Argentina (1986)
- Universidad Nacional de San Luis, Argentina (1986)
- Universidad del Aconcagua, Argentina (1986)
- Universidade de Brasilia (1988)
- University of Haifa, Israel (1988)
- International Academy for Philosophy in Liechtenstein (1989)
- University of Kopenhagen (1989)
- University of Pretoria, South Africa (1990)
- Universidad Gabriela Mistral, Santiago de Chile (1991)
- University of Santa Clara, California (1991)
- University of Ljubljana, Slovenia (1992)
- University of Prague (1994)
- University of Lublin, Poland (1994)
- University of Salzburg (1994)
- Semmelweis-University Budapest (1996)
- Ohio State University, Columbus (1997)
- Austrian Academy of Sciences
- Societies for Neurology and Psychiatry in Austria, Peru and Guatemala
- John F. Kennedy Star
- Oscar Pfister Award of the American Psychiatric Association
- Theodor Billroth Medal
- Albert Schweitzer Medal
- Cardinal Innitzer Prize
- City of Vienna Prize for Science
- Honorary Ring of the City of Vienna
- Honorary Citizen of the Capital of Texas
- Great Cross of Merit with Star (Germany)
- Lifetime Achievement Award of the Foundation for Hospice and Homecare
- Nomination for the Peace Nobel Prize by the Pontifical University of Porto Alegre (Brazil), a Texan university and the "Evolution of Psychotherapy Foundation" (Phoenix, Arizona).
- Viktor Frankl Catedra at the University of Caracas (Venezuela)
- Frankl received the highest honor the Republic of Austria can confer on a scientist; it is the membership (since 1981) in the "Curia of the Great Badge of Honour", an Order restricted to 18 Austrians and 18 citizens of other countries.
- Ehrenpreis des Österreichischen Buchhandels für Toleranz in Denken und Handeln (1991)
- Großes Ehrenzeichen der Österreichischen Ärztekammer (1995)
- Great Cross of Merit with Star of the Republic of Austria (1995)
- Great Badge of Honour of the Austrian Medical Society (1995)
- Maryland Psychological Association Outstanding Lifetime Contribution To Psychology Award
- Honorary Citizenship of Vienna (1995)
- Medicus Magnus Medal and International Golden Star "Merit for Humanism" (Polish Academy of Medicine, 1997)
FRANKL AS EPONYM
FRANKL IN PUBLIC SPACE
- On Viktor Frankl's Place of Birth, Czerningasse 6, Vienna, a memorial plaque was unveiled by the Austrian Minister of Science
- On the front of Viktor Frankl's Home, Mariannengasse 1, a memorial plaque was unveiled in 2002
- On the Vienna University Campus (Altes Allgemeines Krankenhaus) a "Viktor Frankl Trail" was opened in 2001
- Zirkusgasse 52: Municipal apartment building "Viktor-Frankl-Hof"
- The park on the grounds of the former "Wiener Allgemeine Poliklinik" was named "Viktor-Frankl-Park"
- Reichenau an der Rax (Lower Austria): "Dr. Viktor Frankl-Gasse"
- Klagenfurt (Carinthia): "Viktor-Frankl-Gasse"
- Türkheim, Bavaria; "Viktor Frankl Weg" around the grounds of the former concentration camp
- Kaufering, Bavaria; "Viktor-Frankl-Strasse" behind the railway tracks towards the concentration camp memorial
- Berlin: In the
Camphill Residential Community Alt-Schönow two residences bear the name Viktor Frankl-House
- In the Rax-Peilstein region three climbing routes are named after Viktor Frankl